Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Bit of Adventure.. and a Bit of Dejavu

A couple days ago we had a little adventure that reminded me of a bigger adventure we had when Hiram was a baby.
First of all a few days ago we went to visit the house we have under contract. (The one with all of the 90's decor from a previous blog post) While we were there we all went upstairs to look at the bedrooms. Hiram, Noah, Mark and I were in one of the rooms when Noah accidental locked the four of us in- and the babies out. This particular room (which like the house is completely vacant) had the door knob reversed with the door swinging in. So, Luke started crying outside of the door, who knows what Jonah was up to and we realized that we couldn't easily kick the door out or pick the lock. Mark was afraid to try and kick a hole through the door in case the babies were on the other side of it. So, he removed the screen and with me praying he wouldn't break a leg and the boys panicking a little, Mark jumped out of the second level window and safely landed on the grass below- our hero. Anyway, babies were fine, Luke had gotten stuck in a different bedroom and Jonah was happily boing boing-ing a door stopper. I was just glad that we got stuck in the bedroom overlooking the front lawn instead of the empty swimming pool out back. That would have been a bit of a situation.
The memory it reminded us of was when Hiram was a baby and we stopped off at a gallery show I was displaying work in. First of all, the gallery is attached to a civic center and as it was later in the evening we were the only ones around. So, we wandered around for a while and then decided it was time to go home. Unfortunately we quickly realized that we were all alone and locked in. We couldn't even get the emergency doors to open (which is not comforting). So, we found a phone behind the front desk and called the fire department. We made sure they understood that it wasn't a big deal and they could take there time. There must not have been much going that night or else every emergency response worker in Greeley wanted to come see the idiots trapped in the civic center, because much quicker than we had expected we started to see a lot of flashing lights and far too many emergency vehicles. We waited on the opposite side of big glass doors for someone to show up with a key. We were there for a while and I started to feel like I should be swimming around making fish faces. Special. Funny but I had done a pretty good job of blocking out that memory until Noah locked us into the bedroom. And now for some unexplainable reason here I am putting it on my blog. Call it therapy.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! I'm glad you were able to get it resolved quickly, that Mark didn't break anything, and that the babies were ok. I would have gone into panic mode. Oh and your story about the civic center made me laugh. I think they must not have enough to do sometimes - been in a similar situation. :)

    ReplyDelete